Born in 1924, Victor Magariños D. studied at the Manuel Belgrano School of Fine Arts, in Buenos Aires, an institution in which he was later a lecturer. In 1946, he founded ‘Grupo Joven’ - a highly active and important force within the Latin American avant-garde. He travelled to Paris in 1951 on a grant from the French government, where he met with Georges Vantongerloo, Fernand Leger, and Max Bill. In 1964, Magariños D. was selected to be part of the 1964 Torcuato Di Tella National Institute Award – this important prize was judged by a jury composed of Clement Greenberg, Pierre Restany and Jorge Romero Brest. In 1967, he moved to Pinamar - a small, coastal town. There, he built a house and studio which became an artistic and educational hub for over twenty years, up until his death in 1993.
Significant exhibitions include; the XXVIII Venice Biennial in 1956; the Museum of Modern Art of Buenos Aires, ‘From Concrete Art to New Trends’ in 1963; The Walker Art Centre in Minneapolis, ‘New Art of Argentina’ in 1964; Solomon Guggenheim Museum, New York, travelling to the Dallas Museum of Fine Arts, ‘The Emergent Decade’ in 1965; Yale University Art Gallery, travelling to University of Texas Museum, San Francisco Museum of Art, La Jolla Museum of Art, Isaac Delgado Museum of Art in New Orleans, 'Pintura - Latin American Art since Independence’ in 1966; Museum of Modern Art, New York, ‘Latin-American Art 1931-1966’ in 1967; the X Sao Paulo Biennial in 1969.
The Centro de Artes Magariños D. is a non-profit museum created in 1994 by Dolores Rubio and the Friends Association of Victor Magariños D. (AAVMD). It is a meticulously preserved museum of his studio, archive and workshop. In 2000 it was declared a Historical and Cultural Heritage Site of the Pinamar Municipality and more recently, was incorporated into the Network of Creators' Houses of UNESCO, an international initiative that proposes to connect cultural spaces in Latin America.